Limiting people’s right to defend themselves is the exact opposite of what needs to be done to reduce gun violence. If a gun man can be reasonably certain that multiple people in any given crowd are armed, he would be attempting suicide to start shooting at a random group of people.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. – Robert A. Heinlein
It is unrealistic to expect the police to be everywhere at all times. Law enforcement would have to make up 15% – 20% of the population (and be evenly distributed) for that to begin to happen. Hard to imagine our society being able to afford that or even wanting that. However, having an equivalent number of citizens with conceal carry would provide security similar to having police everywhere, all the time.
The last thing America needs is vigilante justice or reckless gun owners. But responsible, law-abiding concealed carry is one way to be a better citizen and protect yourself and your community. Even if you never bring out your weapon, it improves the way you engage with the world and causes you to be a more responsible, deliberate, and careful citizen.
- Carrying a weapon requires you to be more observent
- Licensed concealed carriers are more law abiding than their unarmed peers
- Defensive uses of firearms routinely outweigh unlawful and violent uses
- A lawfully carrying citizen can stop the victimization of another and save lives
- A license to carry a firearm communicates that you are a responsible, law-abiding citizen
- Carrying a weapon and knowing how to use it safely gives you the confidence to face every day without fear of being a victim
- Law-abiding citizens who carry know how guns work and how to handle them properly